The good guys of the Hairy Bakers recently shared a recipe of one of their bestseller wedding cakes. Yup, this post is a follow-up of the previous DIY wedding cake posts =) If you finally decided to bake your own wedding cake (you’ll save tons of money!!), then read on for the Hairy Bakers carrot and fruit wedding cake recipe! Happy baking!
Makes: A 10kg cake
Prep time: Less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 3-4 hrs
100g dried pineapple (rehydrated in 150ml water)
1.4kg plain flour
10g mixed spice
250g grated carrot
Zest of 3 lemons
Zest of 2 oranges
750ml sunflower oil
600ml barley malt syrup
900g brown rice syrup – or normal syrup
20 eggs (1 ltr)
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1. Brush three cake tins with sunflower oil.
2. Sift the flour into a very large bowl, add the sultanas, raisins, chopped dates, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mixed spice and stir well to combine.
3. Add the barley malt syrup and brown rice syrup and stir well to combine.
4. Stir the beaten eggs into the mixture, then add the sunflower oil and stir well to combine.
5. Add the grated carrot, orange zest and lemon zest and stir well to combine.
6. Add the chopped pineapple and cardomon seeds and mix well.
7. Spoon the mixture into the three baking tins, until the mixture reaches no more than three-quarters of the way up the tins.
8. Wrap each tin in greaseproof paper and secure each with string. Cut one 20cm/8in, one 25cm/10in and one 30cm/12in disc of greaseproof paper and cover each tin with the corresponding-sized disc.
9. Transfer the cakes to the oven and bake for 3-4 hours, checking occasionally, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of each cake.
10. Set the cakes aside to rest for two days.